Right now I am enjoying a view of Lyttleton Harbour, 20m from the shore and it is a sunny, still morning. The down side being that New Zealand is in winter and everyone is noticing that this is winter and the temperature is 5 degrees right now, with an expected high of 15.
Dili will be much warmer and humid - all the year round.
Why am I headed for Dili again? (my last visit was 2006-7 when times were 'exciting')
Well, there is work to be done and I really wanted to see the country and people again, to check on the changes and show a bit of commitment.
The bigger picture is that I am doing voluntary work for (www.morisrasik.com) via VSA (vsa.org.nz).
Moris Rasik need IT help and that is where I can do a couple of things for them.
While I have two years up my sleeve, that time is probably going to pass fairly quickly, as there will be lots of things to do work-wise and elsewhere.
Moris Rasik are a micro-finance group and have operated across TL since 2002.
If you are keen on finding out more about microfinance, then have a look at: www.kiva.org
- See the country by bicycle (panniers, tyres and gear are on their way - just got to buy a bike)
- See if I can get a Toastmasters group going
- Check out the state of chess playing - maybe a chess ladder? (I can wow everyone with my 1340 level)
- Do quiz competition once a week (either competing or running it)
- Quietly promote good 'Record keeping' via PARBICA (search for that)
- See if anyone wants to do paddling races (am taking my out rigger / waka ama paddle with me)
- Go scuba diving once a month (only did it once last time)
- Read a book or two
- Enjoy island life, meet the people and learn the language, 'Tetun' (this last item is out of my comfort zone, as I have never yet managed to pick up another language)